Most traveler go the Golden Circle, self driving or on a bus
Snæfellsnes peninsula is on of the must do when you visit Iceland.
Snæfellsnes peninsula is located in the west and is a very popular area. There are many places to visit. Depart from Reykjavík and drive west in the direction of Borgarnes and then there is a ring around the Snæfellsnes peninsula and back to Reykjavik.
It would be better to drive the Snæfellsnes peninsula in one day and spend the night in the area and explore Borgarfjörður on the way back the next day.
South coast of Iceland is popular with beautiful waterfalls and the black sand beach
If you are staying in Reykjavik it will take you 8 hours to visit the south coast and return back in the town Vik. If you go further east and all the way to Jokulsarlon the tour will end in 14-16 hours. There are lot of things to see on the south coast but one of the most wonder is Vestmannaeyjar. If you want to go to see Vestmannaeyjar ( the puffin island ) it would be better to take a hole day there or stay there over night. If you are traveling a round the Island then take at least one night in Vik or Kirkjubæjarklaustur.
Eleven interesting things to do
There are lot of things to do in Iceland and some of them are included some tours or events but this list is written special for self driving people.
- Blue lagoon ( 30 min drive from Reykjavik )
- Into the Glacier | Glacier Caves in Iceland ( 2.30 min drive from Reykjavik )
- Inside the Thrihnukagigur Volcano ( 30 min drive from Reykjavik )
- Hiking near Reykjavik on Mount Esja ( 30 min drive from Reykjavik )
- Reykjadalur Valley – Bathe in a Hot River in South Iceland ( 40 min drive from Reykjavik )
- Krauma Geothermal Baths ( 75 min drive from Reykjavik )
- Perlan Museum Tour ( In middle of Reykjavik )
- The Battle Of Iceland 1238 – virtual viking museum, Sauðárkrókur ( 3.5 hours driving from Reykjavik )
- Seaweedbath ( 3.5 hours drive from Reykjavik, location Reykhólar )
- Westfjord, secret cave and hot nature pool ( Fossfjörður, Arnarfjörður, 20 km from Bíldudalur )
- The Arctic Circle ( Raufarhöfn 7.5 hours drive from Reykjavik ).